Blog 411

This blog was created for our friends and family who don't get to see us -- well, Jonathan and Elise, really -- as often as they'd like. I'm trying to keep you all updated on their milestones and their day-to-day activities. I also hope this will serve as sort of a journal for them as well, something for them to read when they are older that chronologues their lives and adventures. When I can, I'll post pictures and maybe even videos to help bridge the distance.

This blog is Part 2 of the Life of the Hardwicks. This edition will focus on our new lives in Atlanta, GA, that began in July 2013.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

2013_08_22 Thursday

Elise and I ran errands for most of this morning (copying/scanning, Target, groceries). The mold remediation guys were here, so we wanted to get out of their way. They'll be back tomorrow to finish up. yeeehhaww!

We did join the local library. It's not like our old library -- there are no kiddy programs -- but it's usable. It's ok. They do have a decent e-book 'rack,' and they have a loan program with all the libraries in Atlanta, so there should be a huge book selection. There is a decent sized children's section, and Elise loves the low, kiddy toilet. They have a small playroom, a couple of kiddy computers, and ~20 racks of books (from board books to teens). We left with a dozen books that certainly look readable. Elise was thrilled to find Pinkalicious and Goldalicious. Jonathan and I are reading Toad and Frog are Friends in bed; I get the odds and he gets the evens. He's doing great; hardly challenging at all!

I attended the Back to School Night at Jonathan's school tonight. Traffic was bad, so Dave didn't get home quite as I had planned, so I missed the principal's welcome speech, but from what I heard, it wasn't life altering. But, it was very nice to be in the classroom with all the parents and teacher. Jonathan left me a love note on his desk, so I wrote him one back. She gave a nice overview of her plans for the year. And, gesh, I really do like her a lot. Her methods seem to mesh very nicely with ours. She is crystal clear on rewards and (more importantly) consequences. She doesn't grade spelling, rather focuses on promoting the love of reading and writing (and comprehension). And, she'll spend a week each month focusing on hands-on STEM projects. Each week, we'll get a progress report, so that'll be a great way to nip any behavior concerns in the bud. That said, I think we are in for a shock in the homework department!! But, she assigns it on Monday and wants it back by Friday. It hasn't been too bad yet, but I can just imagine what it could snowball into.

I made a pizza from scratch for dinner! Elise helped me make the dough earlier today. I mixed up ground beef, broccoli, corn, and roasted red pepper soup and sprinkled on some cheese. Jonathan apparently wanted thirds!! Now that's telling!

No comments:

Post a Comment