Blog 411

This blog was created for our friends and family who don't get to see us -- well, Jonathan and Elise, really -- as often as they'd like. I'm trying to keep you all updated on their milestones and their day-to-day activities. I also hope this will serve as sort of a journal for them as well, something for them to read when they are older that chronologues their lives and adventures. When I can, I'll post pictures and maybe even videos to help bridge the distance.

This blog is Part 2 of the Life of the Hardwicks. This edition will focus on our new lives in Atlanta, GA, that began in July 2013.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

2014_04_15 Tuesday

From Elise's school:
We had a cozy class today and discussed all things "jungly".  X demonstrated a great snake pose in yoga and X led our snake train around the room in a super slithery way.  Elise showed everyone how to move the opposite of slithery.  She balanced all the way to the end of the straight line on the rug.  X and X loved "practicing" for our earth prints by getting elbow deep in shaving cream paint!

My notes from Milan, Italy:
I fell asleep so fast last night!! I left my window curtains open so I could see when it got light out; I'm not trusting my technology these days. I think my phone cord has a gremlin inside and it's gumming up both my cell and BB when I plug it in.

I had a chocolate brioche (which is a crossiont to us) and a smallish coffee for breakfast. Here you pay at one place and take the receipt to the bar and stand while you eat and let the crumbs fall on the floor. Then I took the subway, which has lots of tunnels (like NYC) but is a small system (like DC) two stops up to the Consulate. I got there way too early, so I had a cappacino, which in Italy is a teeeny cup that is 1/2 filled with strong coffee, and you fill it up with milk and/or sugar....and drink it standing (just like breakfast). Also, while I waited I realized how windy Milan is. The weather is beautiful (60s?) but the wind make it feel a lot colder. Plus, maybe b/c the city is cobblestoned, the wind kicks up lots of dust/dirt.

I had my first Post visit today.

At lunch, I had a cured ham and mozzarella panini that was delicious. I'm supposed to try the pesto and boccachino (?) mozzarella, which you cannot get in the States and apparently is a bit more runny that what we know for cheese, for dinner tonight (which is served at 8 or later!). But I have also been invited to a reception tonight. I haven't gotten the official invite but that's the plan, at least for a little while!

I'm going to check out "the castle" now. It's apparently the last king's palace that has lots of artifacts, including a mummy that I think was something from Mussolini's time in Egypt and other things taken around WWII. Not entirely sure, but I've been recommended to go there. It's a walk from my hotel. Will take pix if they allow it.
 
Dave, please tell Jonathan about the blood moon that may have been last night for you guys (CNN was covering it today here). If the telescope is built up yet, definitely take a look. it's supposed to be really neat to see how red the moon is.

So, I made it to the castle, but by the time I got there the museums inside were closing down. There were beautiful gardens and a giant park behind it. The castle had a huge fountain in the front (so many people kissing at the fountain!!! ewwww!!) and a statue of the last king of Milan with the patron saint of Milan higher up from him. I took a few of pix. There are also tons of trams above ground, so you really have to watch when you cross the street b/c they go by fast and they're quiet (electric). The castle also has these enormous, plastic swallows (birds) placed randomly throughout the gardens that people were climbing all over. Swallows are apparently very symbolic for Milan. something artsy about rejuvenation (they keep coming back) and perseverance (they don't hibernate) and something about nesting close to humans (??). So, if I could have made it into the museums part of the castle, I could have bought a plastic Easter egg to contribute to a 'living' nest art sculpture. oh well. but I did get to walk the length of it; it reminded me a lot of the castles David and I saw in Beijing.

I got sucked into an early dinner by a persuasive waiter who asked what my necklace meant. So I sat at the end (facing the entire facade) of the Duomo plaza. I had a 'mini' bottle of chianti and what I thought was an appetizer but turned out to be six slices of french bread 2 with cured ham, 2 with proscuito, and 2 with to-die-for brushetta (I haven't had that flavorful tomatoes in a looooong time), all place around a giant ball of mozzarella du bufalo (which is slightly more creamy/runny than what we are used to) drizzled in vinegar. There is no such thing as non-organic; everything here is and straight from the farm. so flavorful, wowser!!! I do have to say that the "loud American" stereotype is alive and well in Milan; I can't tell you how many times I could hear loud conversations that were always American English. Gesh, don't we know how to whisper or speak in a normal volume?!
 
Then, with 10 minutes to spare, I finally received the invite to the(business formal) private party. The 'house' was insanely huge and museum-quality decor. They did have a lot of personal photos, etc but it sure was a party-host home. They had hired a pianist, an opera singer, and an art history expert to perform. It was lovely, but a bit...existential...for me. The theme was air and how it influences humankind (blah, blah, blah) in a non-meterological sort of way. I hung around for about 30 minutes afterward, said how much I appreciated him putting this party on for me, thanked his wife profusely, had one last proscuito and split. It was just two metro stops away, so I've done the red and yellow lines here. 

Now I'm back in my hotel. I've arranged a car service (which is the same 95Euro as a taxi) to get me to the airport tomorrow. I got an email from a constituent/friend (former boss at OSAC!) who arrived in Kyiv today and is scouting out the social scene for us for tomorrow! ha. sounds like it's not as bad in Kyiv as the news likes to portray the east to be. rest assured, I will be very far away from all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment